Journal of Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Split, No. 9 July 2017
Ana Torlak orcid.org/0000-0003-4572-6692 ; Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Split
In the centuries preceding the foundation of the Archaeological Museum in Split which was established as an institution responsible for the cultural goods of the City of Salona, numerous monuments from that ancient metropolis were dispersed. They were either used as construction material or as a part of local and foreign antiquity collectors’ private collections. Most often, these exhibits cannot be traced since no recordings regarding their existence were found. Hence, each and every, often sporadically recorded data, represents a valuable testimony of a particular monument. The collection and unification of the relevant data in one place enables knowledge of the Salonite monuments corpus and the private collections formed by these monuments. One of these collections belonged to Carlo Lanza (1781 – 1834), a physician from Split, also known as the first director of the Archaeological Museum in Split. Since the inventory of that collection was not preserved, it is very likely that its content will remain unknown. However, certain segments can be reconstructed through data synthesis from various sources which are presented in this paper. Furthermore, a recording made by J. G. Wilkinson, (1797 – 1875), a British Egyptologist and travel writer who was considered notable for being the only person to record the existence of the emperor’s torso in Lanza’s collection of the forties of the 19th century, is presented for the first time.
private collections of ancient monuments; Salona; Carlo Lanza; Francesco Lanza; J. G. Wilkinson; imperial torso