Journal of Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Split, No.10 December 2017.
Original scientific paper
The authors display the results of architectural and conservation research conducted in 2000/2001 in the eastern part of the historical core of Dubrovnik, in today’s Church of Our Lady of Carmen, which is in Pustijerna, directly by the fortress of St. John. Research has found the earlier Church of St. John which was destroyed over time. Stone furniture and archive records of the 13th century bare witness to the existence of the church. The remains have given enough data for the recognition and graphic reconstruction of the three development phases of the church, from the 8/9th century to the romanesque period. The Church of St. John is layered over the baroque gate of Our Lady of Carmel. Its present appearance is due to the last remodelling after the earthquake of 1667, in which it was severely damaged. The first construction stage began between 1633 – 1634. During the research, the foundations of the rounded facade were found, including part of the first stage of baroque church construction. There was a project change in the middle of the century. A flat facade was built and the church was re-arched with an elliptical dome. The dome fell in an earthquake in 1661. The renewal took place within the then possibilities of the brotherhood: an overlapping wooden roof with a visibly coloured wooden lintel, imitations of stone pilasters and a wreath made in painted wood. The church is furnished with altars and valuable altarpieces by: Giovanni Angelo Canin (built in 1641), Andrea Vaccaro (1606 – 1610), Sebastiano Rici (1659 – 1734), and an overhead picture by Bartolomeo Litterini (1669 – 1748). It was also furnished with pictures of the Four Evangelists by Matteo Preti (1613 – 1699). It is unknown who the architect was that in 1622 designed the church with the rounded facade over which rose an elliptic dome with a lantern.
Dubrovnik; Pustijerna; pre-romanesque; braiding; ciborium; Church of St. John the Evangelist; baroque; Our lady Of Carmel; Francesco Boromini