The forgotten Toponyms Within the Historical Core of Split

Journal of Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Split, No. 1, 2008

Original scientific paper

Marina Marasović-Alujević ; University of Split, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences 
Siniša Vuković

pages 183-193

Abstracts:

The authors present some results of the research on the toponymy of Split as the topic of a scientific project carried out at the Academy of Arts, University of Split. Several toponyms are presented, recorded in the documents but mostly forgotten, some of them preserved in the form of the names of streets.
– Ripa maris, a part of a bay of the port of Split west of the wall of Diocletian’s palace, named after the position on the very coast,
– Fenestris, the site in the south-east part of the Palace, named after the windows on the façade,
– Sdoria, the mediaeval name for the former consistorial hall of the Archdiocese of Split,
– Pistura, the area to the west of the Palace, named after the accessory entrance,
– Obrov, the area to the west of the mediaeval town walls, named after the defence ditch,
– Šperun, the western semi-bastion of the town walls; the toponym originates from the Italian word sperone (rostrum).
The authors used historical sources and with a critical analysis of the past interpretation have come to some new conclusions about the examined toponyms. Five among the analysed toponyms are of Romance, and one of Croatian origin.

Keywords:

historical core; Split; toponyms

URI:

http://zbornik.ffst.unist.hr/?p=1793&lang=en